Tom Bradby, an ITV news anchor and close friend of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry, says that the two are being “driven out” by the royal family.
During an ITV broadcast on Thursday, the reporter said that “there have been a lot of fallouts” between the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and the royals. He added that “a lot of harsh things were said around the time of the wedding,” presumably referencing Meghan and Harry’s May 2018 nuptials.
He also said that the couple were forced to show their hand and make their big announcement on Wednesday, after news of their plans to step back reportedly leaked.
“Harry has been talking to his family for some weeks about all this. And certainly, as I understand it, what happened is he was asked by members of his family, or at least his officials, to put some of these ideas in writing,” Bradby said.
The reporter added that Harry said, “‘I really don’t want to do that because it normally leaks.’ And they were very insistent in order to go forward and discuss it properly it had to be put in writing. He did put it in writing, and it did leak.”
Bradby commented on reports that the royal family had no knowledge of Harry and Meghan’s announcement. The Evening Standard and CNN reported that Princes Charles and William had only 10 minutes of notice prior to the news, and that Harry directly defied Queen Elizabeth II’s order to not go through with their declaration.
“I don’t think [the royals] got much heads-up as to the actual announcement, but they certainly knew what was going on. I think [Harry] felt once it had been leaked all bets were off,” Bradby said.
On Thursday, multiple outlets reported that the Queen, Prince Charles and William were working to find a solution with the Sussexes. But Bradby anticipates that things will get worse before getting better.
“There are going to be so many complications, so many controversies,” he said. “There needs to be a peace deal really soon because this is so toxic, there’s so much anger and, to be honest with you at the moment it looks like it might get worse, not better.”
Bradby recently worked for the couple on their emotional ITV documentary, “Harry & Meghan: An African Journey,” which was released in October. In it, Harry addressed rumors of a rift with his brother and Meghan got teary when describing her mental state and how she’s coped with the press.
He was also a guest at the couple’s wedding on May 19, 2018.
As of Wednesday, Meghan was already on her way back to Canada, according to Harper’s Bazaar, where she and Harry reportedly left Archie with friend Jessica Mulroney.
The only official response to the couple’s announcement is still Buckingham Palace’s terse statement, which was released Wednesday.
“Discussions with The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage,” the palace said. “We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through.”
View this post on Instagram
“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen. It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment. We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages. This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity. We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties. Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support.” – The Duke and Duchess of Sussex For more information, please visit sussexroyal.com (link in bio) Image © PA
Called “America’s Number ONE Gossip Columnist” by The National Enquirer.
Rob ‘Naughty But Nice’ Shuter breaks celebrity news every day on his website NaughtyGossip.com where he delivers all the dish about the stars we love in his naughty but nice signature style.
You can also catch him co-hosting and breaking celebrity news on Good Day New York, The Today Show, The Talk, Wendy Williams Show, CNN, Extra and Z100’s ‘Elvis Duran.’
Previously, Rob was the Huffington Post’s only celebrity columnist and the former executive editor of OK! Magazine. Rob has also hosted his own Saturday night talk show on Mark Cuban’s channel and his own daily morning show, ‘The Gossip Table,’ on VH1! He just celebrated his one-year anniversary on Radio Rob – his subscription-based daily live podcast gossip show!
Breaking some of the biggest entertainment stories, including Jamie Lynn Spears’s pregnancy news, Britney’s first post-meltdown interview, Eva Longoria’s wedding, and baby exclusives for Jessica Alba, Tori Spelling and Mathew McConaughey’s tots, Rob always knows where to find the best scoop.
Before Rob was one of the world’s most successful entertainment reporters, he was a publicist working for Jennifer Lopez, Alicia Keys, P. Diddy, Jessica Simpson and Jon Bon Jovi!
Now he is bringing all this experience to his new show on I HEART MEDIA in his unique cheeky way, that is always a pinch and never a punch!