Royal fans got some confusing mixed messages from the Sussex camp Thursday when the Palace announced that Queen Elizabeth II’s doctors were putting her under medical supervision out for concerns about her health. The long-reigning monarch died later that day at the age of 96.
“Tensions were so high and there was no way Meghan could have gone to Balmoral,” a palace source told Page Six earlier this week. “The fact the Sussex camp did say both Harry and Meghan were going — and then quickly retracted that statement — will tell you everything you need to know about the drama behind the scenes.”
Now, a royal source is shedding some light on the details of that behind-the-scenes drama, which now-King Charles seems to have played a big role in.
“Charles told Harry that it wasn’t right or appropriate for Meghan to be in Balmoral at such a deeply sad time,” a source told The Sun, adding that Charles “made it very, very clear Meghan would not be welcome.”
Given the longstanding tensions between Meghan, Harry and the rest of the royal family, Meghan’s absence fueled feud rumors, but the source said the ban was more about limiting the Queen’s last visits to immediate family.
“It was pointed out to him that Kate [Middleton] was not going and that the numbers really should be limited to the very closest family,” the insider added.
Following the Queen’s passing, Meghan has been included in royal mourning activities. Prince William notably invited the Sussexes to join him and his wife, Kate Middleton, in greeting mourners and well-wishers outside Windsor Castle. A source told People that Will, who was recently named Prince of Wales, wanted Harry and Meghan to join him for the walkabout as “an important show of unity at an incredibly difficult time for the family.”
ORDER A COPY OF ROB’S NEW BEST SELLING BOOK! Called “America’s Number ONE Gossip Columnist” by The National Enquirer. Rob ‘Naughty But Nice’ Shuter breaks celebrity news every day on his website NaughtyGossip.com where he delivers all the dish about the stars we love in his naughty but nice signature style. You can also catch him co-hosting and breaking celebrity news on Good Day New York, The Today Show, The Talk, Wendy Williams Show, CNN, Extra and Z100’s ‘Elvis Duran.’ Previously, Rob was the Huffington Post’s only celebrity columnist and the former executive editor of OK! Magazine. Rob has also hosted his own Saturday night talk show on Mark Cuban’s channel and his own daily morning show, ‘The Gossip Table,’ on VH1! Breaking some of the biggest entertainment stories, including Jamie Lynn Spears’s pregnancy news, Britney’s first post-meltdown interview, Eva Longoria’s wedding, and baby exclusives for Jessica Alba, Tori Spelling and Mathew McConaughey’s tots, Rob always knows where to find the best scoop. Before Rob was one of the world’s most successful entertainment reporters, he was a publicist working for Jennifer Lopez, Alicia Keys, P. Diddy, Jessica Simpson and Jon Bon Jovi! Now he is bringing all this experience to his new show on I HEART MEDIA in his unique cheeky way, that is always a pinch and never a punch!