The Duke of Sussex and Prince of Wales’ relationship is at an “all-time low,” according to an exclusive report by The Sun’s Matt Wilkinson.
Prince Charles has been left “deeply shocked and hurt” by the aftermath of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s “step back” from the royal family, sources told the newspaper.
The sources added that the pair have “barely spoken” in the past eight months, with The Sun adding that there have only been a handful of “fraught” phone conversations between the father and son in the months following Harry’s move to the US.
Harry previously said during his interview with Oprah Winfrey in March that his father stopped taking his calls shortly before his “step back” and that he had been cut off financially by the royal family.
The Sun reports that “matters worsened” on Sunday when Harry made a public statement about Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz, the Saudi billionaire who was allegedly told by Charles’ closest aide, Michael Fawcett, that he could be granted an honorary CBE in exchange for donations to the royal’s charity, The Prince’s Foundation.
Fawcett resigned from his role as CEO of The Prince’s Foundation following the allegations in November, a spokesperson told BBC News at the time.
A spokesperson for Prince Charles told The Mirror in September: “The Prince of Wales has no knowledge of the alleged offer of honors or British citizenship on the basis of donation to his charities and fully supports the investigation now under way by The Prince’s Foundation.”
A spokesperson for the Duke of Sussex told The Sunday Times in an article published on Sunday that he “expressed his concerns about the donor” after a meeting with him eight years ago.
Sources told the publication that Charles is “keeping a dignified silence” for fear that a public rift with Harry could damage his reign. The 73-year-old is due to succeed his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, when her reign comes to an end.
Representatives for the Duke of Sussex and the Prince of Wales did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.
ORDER A COPY OF ROB’S NEW BEST SELLING BOOK! Called “America’s Number ONE Gossip Columnist” by The National Enquirer. Rob ‘Naughty But Nice’ Shuter breaks celebrity news every day on his website NaughtyGossip.com where he delivers all the dish about the stars we love in his naughty but nice signature style. You can also catch him co-hosting and breaking celebrity news on Good Day New York, The Today Show, The Talk, Wendy Williams Show, CNN, Extra and Z100’s ‘Elvis Duran.’ Previously, Rob was the Huffington Post’s only celebrity columnist and the former executive editor of OK! Magazine. Rob has also hosted his own Saturday night talk show on Mark Cuban’s channel and his own daily morning show, ‘The Gossip Table,’ on VH1! Breaking some of the biggest entertainment stories, including Jamie Lynn Spears’s pregnancy news, Britney’s first post-meltdown interview, Eva Longoria’s wedding, and baby exclusives for Jessica Alba, Tori Spelling and Mathew McConaughey’s tots, Rob always knows where to find the best scoop. Before Rob was one of the world’s most successful entertainment reporters, he was a publicist working for Jennifer Lopez, Alicia Keys, P. Diddy, Jessica Simpson and Jon Bon Jovi! Now he is bringing all this experience to his new show on I HEART MEDIA in his unique cheeky way, that is always a pinch and never a punch!